LIKE Facebook

Sunday, December 23, 2007

I delivered a baby!



What a night! As a labor and delivery nurse, we don't actually "deliver" babies per se, that's the DOC's job. Our role is to coach and support patients through their labor and to assist the obstetrician during the delivery. Yesterday however, we had a patient come in for her 3rd baby, and she quickly dilated to 10 cm and felt like pushing! The doctor was coming from home and obviously wouldn't make it, and so I ended up delivering the baby for my first time in my 2+ years in L&D! I clamped and cut the umbilical cord and the baby was whisked away to the infant warmer, then about 5 minutes later the doc comes strolling in to make her appearance...



So of course I had to take a picture with my camera phone to document my first baby delivery! Oh, and before I weighed the baby I made a guess that she would be 6 lbs 4 oz, and I was on the dot! Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today :)

No comments: